ABOUT US

The Clifton School of Arts is an historic landmark building, superbly positioned just south of the iconic Sea Cliff Bridge in CliftonIt has served the local community as a cultural and events facility for over 100 years.

The building provides a spectacular venue for exhibitions, concerts, weddings, community events and other private and corporate functions.

THE COMMITTEE

The Clifton School of Arts is owned and maintained by the Community and is managed by a Committee of dedicated volunteer local residents.

Elected to the current Committee are;

  • DAWN CROWTHER – President
  • KALEV MAEVALI – Vice President
  • VYVIAN WILSON – Secretary
  • PETER WILSON – Treasurer
  • LORELLE RING – Caretaker & Ordinary Member
  • VICKI POTTER – Ordinary Member
  • DON ROBERTSON – Ordinary Member

Clifton School of Arts holds General members’ meetings approximately 6 times a year and we are always looking for new, active members! If you are interested in becoming a member please send us an email via the  Contact page.

CSA GOVERNANCE & POLICY DOCUMENTS

HISTORY

The original Clifton School of Arts was established in 1880 when Alexander Stuart (owner of the local Coalcliff coal mine and later premier of NSW) gave the use of a room in an old weatherboard house (across the road from the existing building) for the purpose of providing classes for the young workers. This became the first home for the School of Arts. The area steadily grew through the exploitation of the local coal deposits and by 1888 Clifton was an important commercial centre with both coach and railway terminals. Plans were made to replace the original School of Arts with a more substantial building.

However, times soon became difficult for the Illawarra with continuing industrial unrest including lengthy and bitterly contested strikes. There were also major mining disasters in 1887 and 1902 in which several hundred men and boys were killed. Added to this was the problem of the location of the coal and associated mining and shipping difficulties which meant that the mines were always economically marginal.

In 1910, the Coalcliff Colliery miners went out on strike for six months and it was during this time, that the existing Clifton School of Arts was built. The cost of £100 was raised by public subscription, the land was donated by the mining company and the striking miners provided the labour.

The first stage consisted of four rooms on two storeys and although the School was really meant to be a much larger building, given the changed economic circumstances of the area the planned hall at the back of the building was never added. Although the School was built at Clifton, Scarborough (formerly South Clifton) had become the centre for growth and so Clifton’s population steadily declined as the mine closed and miners sought work elsewhere. The partially-completed building operated as a School of Arts for a number of years and later became the local general store. Later still it provided a home and studio space for local artists.

Over the years the building deteriorated badly and it looked as though it would have to be demolished however finally in 1996, a new School of Arts Committee was formed and fundraising and lobbying for the restoration began. Grants were received from Wollongong City Council, NSW Heritage Commission and private donors but of course nothing would have happened without the efforts and enthusiasm of the local community whose energies have brought the building back to life continue to support it as a community facility.